Tuesday, September 25, 2012

"My faith assures me that whatever the outcome of my journey, I've got nothing to fear. It's ultimately in God's hands, and all I can really ask for is the strength to get through this journey."
When Kent Lawrence, now 77, was diagnosed with prostate cancer in 2004, he didn’t know much about it. He jokes that he didn’t even know how to spell it. But he and his wife quickly got up to speed by reading books, articles, and Web sites that described the many different options in prostate cancer treatment. When it was time to meet with a team of doctors at Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston, they were prepared. The treatment recommended by the team matched what the Lawrences had already determined would probably be best. That helped make them feel confident in their decision.
   
Today, Lawrence has no signs or symptoms of cancer, and he continues to have regular tests to make sure it hasn’t come back. He volunteers with the American Cancer Society’s Man To Man program to counsel and mentor other men who are dealing with prostate cancer.
Lawrence said, “So many of them like to talk to a guy who’s walked the walk. I can tell them about my side effects and how the cancer affected me.”
A year ago, Lawrence gave the kickoff speech at his local Relay For Life event. Recently, the American Cancer Society recognized him with the Quality of Life Award for outstanding leadership and service, and for enhancing the quality of life for cancer patients and their families in the community.
He said, “I’ve been ever so fully supported by my faith, my family, and my friends. My faith assures me that whatever the outcome of my journey, I’ve got nothing to fear. It’s ultimately in God’s hands, and all I can really ask for is the strength to get through this journey. In this I’ve not been disappointed. In fact, right from day one I’ve never had one doubt or bit of remorse: God willing, we will get this under control.”  ( American Cancer Society.com)

No comments:

Post a Comment