Thursday, September 20, 2012

Fifteen reasons: Finding hope through cancer

By Rose Egge
Since learning that I have cancer, I have had many less-than-pleasant medical experiences. I easily could have lived without the bone marrow testing, MRIs and surgeries.
But on Sunday morning, I had a medical procedure that filled me with joy and hope, thanks to Dr. Julie Lamb and the wonderfully caring staff at Pacific Northwest Fertility. At 7:30 a.m., I had my eggs retrieved for freezing.
As I wrote last week, some chemotherapy patients are unable to get pregnant naturally after treatment because their eggs are damaged. I am so thankful that my first oncologist warned me of this, especially after talking to other young oncology patients who were not warned, and that he recommended Pacific Northwest Fertility.
From the first day I met Dr. Lamb, her kind, caring nature brought comfort to the daunting medical situation I was faced with.
I had never imagined that at age 25 I would be facing cancer, let alone worrying about my fertility. But Dr. Lamb changed the medical conversation from one about survival, to the joyful planning of my future family.
Even if I had not been diagnosed with cancer, I would not be ready to have children at this point in my life. Still, having a family is something I look forward to immensely. I believe having a little girl or boy of my own will be one of the most amazing experiences of my life, and every time I visited Pacific Northwest Fertility I was able to forget about my cancer for a few hours and dream about my babies I was beginning to create, even if they aren’t actually born for a few years.

Dr. Lamb encouraged me with each ultrasound, celebrating each egg follicle and assuring me that they would be able to freeze plenty of eggs.
After 2 weeks of daily injections, I went to the fertility center on Sunday morning, a little nervous, only to be comforted and cared for by some of the most nurturing medical professionals I have ever met. I went under anesthesia with one doctor holding my hand and another hugging my legs over warm blankets. Before I knew it, I was awake and enjoying animal crackers with apple juice.
This morning the clinic called to report I’ve got fifteen frozen eggs, promising me a future of hope and love. I've got fifteen reasons to be grateful to Pacific Northwest Fertility, and fifteen reasons to beat cancer and have a long, beautiful life.

No comments:

Post a Comment