Saturday, February 16, 2013

Husband's Reaction To Wife's Cancer

After probably experiencing denial about the possible reality of my wife's  health,  I embarked on the journey with cancer the day the doctor walked down the hospital halls in his scrubs to update us on the extensive operation my wife just went through. His facial expressions announced bad news, and a difficult task of informing us of the real cold facts of reality that the whole family had to face.He explained in his best professional manner the procedures of removing the stomach apron, complete hysterectomy, reconnection of the bowels, and more, concluding that Faith (my wife) had stage 3C ovarian cancer. The youngest of the children asks if that meant it was terminal.  A clear answer was not given, other than the possibility of prolonging life through chemo-therapy.
  
   Time flew by quickly.  As I was pondering the situation,  I found myself down the hall away from the adult children. I started crying inside, visible by my shoulders moving uncontrollably. A nurse meets me and sort of tries to console me saying she overheard the doctor and that she was sorry and hoped things would work out. This was a path I never tread, neither did my wife.  Being married to her for just one year, I wanted to be the best support ever, so that she would find peace and encouragement.
   
 I had to first of all believe God and His promises, that He was in full control of something that seemed completely out of my control. Together Faith and I faced mortality. How were we going to prepare ourselves for the inevitable? Yes we had our moments of tears and sobs. My heart would break when I would see my wife so torn and so close to what she perceived as a death.  I can tell you now, our time of peace and encouragement came from God to whom we turned to for help and direction. He  spoke to our hearts every day as we meditated His word and as we prayed. His presence has been felt in a very special way. A way  that if  it were not for  the journey with cancer, we would not have experience those precious moments that count for so much in this world of darkness, gloom and sadness. There is hope through cancer. See full story    http://www.hopethroughcancer.com/Claude-s-Story.html

No comments:

Post a Comment